When it comes to roofing materials, few options exude the natural beauty and timeless elegance of cedar shake. Renowned for its rustic charm and durability, cedar shake roofing is a popular choice among NJ homeowners seeking a classic yet durable roof. In recent years, the availability of synthetic alternatives has introduced new possibilities. In this article, we will delve into what a cedar shake roof is, and highlight the key distinctions between natural and synthetic cedar shake roofing.
What is Cedar Shake Roofing?
Cedar shake refers to a roofing material made from wooden shingles crafted from cedarwood. Cedar shake shingles are created by splitting logs into tapered sections, resulting in a unique, uneven surface that adds character and aesthetic appeal to any structure. Apart from its natural beauty, cedar shake offers exceptional insulation properties, weather resistance, and a long lifespan. These qualities have made it a sought-after choice for homeowners desiring both functionality and elegance.
Natural Cedar Shake Roofing:
Natural cedar shake, as the name implies, is crafted from genuine cedarwood. Sourced from sustainable forests, these shingles are renowned for their natural warmth and charm. The rustic appearance of natural cedar shake is highly desirable, creating a sense of authenticity that many homeowners find appealing. Additionally, natural cedar shake boasts excellent durability, capable of withstanding harsh weather conditions, including high winds and heavy rains. Over time, these shingles age gracefully, developing a lovely silver-gray patina that further enhances their visual appeal.
Benefits of a Natural Cedar Shake Roof:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Natural cedar shake exudes timeless beauty, adding character and curb appeal to any home.
- Durability: Cedarwood possesses natural oils that make it highly resistant to decay, rot, and insect damage, ensuring a long-lasting roof.
- Insulation: Cedar shake offers excellent thermal insulation, reducing heat transfer and helping to maintain comfortable indoor temperatures.
- Environmental Sustainability: Sourced from renewable forests, natural cedar shake is an environmentally friendly choice.
Synthetic Cedar Shake Roofing:
Synthetic cedar shake roofing is a modern alternative that replicates the appearance and texture of natural cedar shake but is made from durable composite materials. While synthetic shakes mimic the authentic look of cedarwood, they offer additional advantages in terms of longevity and maintenance requirements. These shingles are typically made from recycled materials such as plastic and rubber, contributing to their eco-friendly appeal.
Benefits of a Synthetic Cedar Shake Roof:
- Longevity: Synthetic shakes have a longer lifespan compared to natural cedar shake, requiring minimal maintenance and providing extended protection for your home.
- Weather Resistance: Synthetic shakes are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, including high winds, hail, and UV exposure.
- Fire Resistance: Many synthetic cedar shake shingles are manufactured to be fire-resistant, providing an extra layer of protection for your property.
- Affordability: Synthetic shakes are often more budget-friendly than natural cedar shake, offering a cost-effective alternative without compromising on visual appeal.
Selecting between natural and synthetic cedar shake ultimately depends on personal preferences, budget, and specific needs. While natural cedar shake offers unparalleled authenticity and charm, synthetic options excel in terms of longevity, durability, and affordability.
Looking for an Experienced Cedar Shake Roofing Company in New Jersey?
If you’re searching for a professional, experienced, and reputable NJ roofer who specializes in cedar shake roofing, check out LGC Roofing today! We a family owned and operated roofing contractor that has been serving the New Jersey area for over 30 years! We are full service NJ roofing company handling both residential & commercial projects, large and small. Whether you need simple roof repair or complete roof replacement, we are your top quality NJ roofer. We are fully insured and licensed to do roofing and siding work in New Jersey. We are certified to install variety of roofs from shingle to cedar shake to slate. If you’re looking for more information, you can contact us today at (609) 712-8157 or visit our home page.